There is no Sinterklaas celebrations without pepernoten. Although they are available everywhere (in the Netherlands) for sale; they are in fact quite easy to make. In Rwanda, we cannot buy them, so we took some spices from Europe, and we made them here. The result was good!
We took the recept from Albert Heijn website, but for those who do not speak Dutch, this is the English translation:
What do you need?
- 150g butter
- 125g brown sugar
- 10g speculaas spice
- 250g baking flour
- 4 big spoons milk
What to do?
- Mix all the ingredients until you have a ball of an homogeneous shiny brown color.
- Put baking paper or butter in an oven tray.
- Warm the oven to 160 C degrees.
- Make the small flat balls.
This is when the children can take part of the fun!
- When your tray is full with future pepernoten, set in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes.