I guess the longer you are abroad, the more you feel attached to simple things from your home culture. And one of the things expats seem to miss the most is their home country food. So, having some chorizo left from my mother´s last visit, and since I recently found where to buy chick peas, I decided to give it a try and cook some traditional "cocido".
Here comes the recipe:
- 1/2 kg chick peas
- Some cabbage
- 2 potatoes
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- A piece of chorizo
- A piece of pork meat
- A piece of chicken
- 2 big meat balls
Really, the quantities and proportions depend on what you want to eat, and for how many people you want to cook this dish. There is no really a golden rule!
What to do:
- Soak the chick peas the night before in water (if they are dry chick peas)
- Boil the chick peas and the meat together until the chick peas are tender.
- Add the peeled vegetables. I let it boil for half an hour in a pressure cooker, you will need more time in a normal pot.
- When everything is ready, you can use the water for making a soup with small pasta as a starter.
- Then serve the rest in a tray (without the cooking water), so that everybody can take the parts they like.
- Season with olive oil.
The result was delicious! And really, cooking this dish is really easy, it just takes some time.