Wednesday 3 October 2018

How to make a frame for a mosquito net

If you have ever slept under a mosquito net, you will agree that the round ones are far from optimal (to say it politely). They stick to your face when you move, they never seem to stay where they are supposed to, and fixing them under the bed is a nightmare.

And let's say that, like us, you live in a place where you need to sleep under a net because you want to avoid mosquito bites that might transmit a deadly disease. But, first of all, which net should you buy?

My requirements:

  • A rectangular net
  • Single bed size, my children's bed size is 200x90 cm
  • Completely closed; no doors
  • Fine mesh (this means the amount of holes per inch or cm)
  • Impregnated with mosquito repellent

I finally bought this net, brand TravelSafe, at bol.com, and it seemed to be one of the few with all my requirements. It came nicely wrapped with an orange bag and it weighs about half a kilo, which is very handy if you need to take it with you in a suitcase. This net is 220x105x200cm, it fits perfectly, and according to the description it has 225 holes per inch, so the mesh is fine enough to avoid mosquitos coming in.


It comes with a white rope and 4 hooks so that you can hang it by drilling holes into the ceiling. I have tried that system before, and it should work perfectly fine with normal adults. However, my children have a tendency to regard almost everything around them as a toy, and they pull the net when coming in and out of bed. The result is that it came loose, and the holes were destroyed.

Luckily for me, I live in the middle of nowhere, but I have a carpenter workshop in from of the door. How lucky is that? I showed them my design, and this is the result. Although it seems dirty, it is important that the net touches the floor, to avoid the mosquitos going under it, and it looks better if it goes over the frame instead of hanging from it.


Some more pictures, for those who may want to give it a try themselves.







No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...