Friday 5 October 2018

On natural bristle brushes

Natural bristle brushes? I did not even know this word before I started going no-shampoo (I will write on that in another post).


My first and beloved GHD natural bristle brush
My first brush is the GHD one which I got for free years ago when buying a GHD hair straightener. I did not even know why, but I immediately noticed that my hair was cleaner and less static when using this brush. It also seemed to detangle without pulling my hair.

Some years afterwards, I wanted to buy a second one because it had lost many of the bristles. They did not seem to sell it in any hairdresser, and I did not even know what made it "special", and what I was supposed to be looking for.


Since I had the children, I have spent quite some time trying to understand what to dose that my hair would fall less, and would be less frizzy. Well, honestly, I did not spend that much time, it is just those moments when I looked at the mirror, and my hair was electric, and the shower was blocked from all the hair that had fallen after washing it. Or when I saw balls of my hair rolling under the bed making it look like a Western movie landscape. You know what I mean.

Anyway, I read about the no-poo method, or no-shampoo, and it recommended to use a natural bristle brush. What? I saw a picture, and it looked like my GHD brush; now I knew what made it special - boar bristles!

So, I went to purchase a few more brushes.

My radial natural bristle brush, REGINCOS
I found this one "by mistake", when I was buying something else in a shop in front of our apartment in Barcelona. It has become my favourite, if I can only take one when traveling, then I would take this one for sure.
A natural bristle brush cleans your hair between washes by moving the natural serum from your roots into the length of the hair. And seeing how dirty it gets after good brushing, it seems to remove a lot of dust and other "stuff" as well. I save you the grossness of seeing a picture of my brush when it is dirty.

Regincos takes special attention to its brushes, the bristles are settled into mahogany wood, and it has a cork handle which gives it a nice grip. I really appreciate the design, if you are looking for a product with no plastic, this would be it for you.


More information on Regincos brushes in their website; they also have special ones designed for hair which has had a keratin treatment, and wooden combs.

My children's brush, KENT
Anna is the main user of this one; Nicolas has short hair, and Paul is just into a casual un-combed hair teenager look. It was highly recommended in the blog Happy Hair Guide, and I bought it online in Lookfantastic.
It is soft, easy to use, and clears all the tangles in Anna's hair. It leaves the hair shiny and soft. It is also cheaper than the other brushes, so maybe a good choice if you want to try one and do not want to spend a lot of money.
Although it does its job, it seems to have less natural bristles, or they have fallen off after one year, I do not know. The wood is finished with a shiny lacquer, and it has started to peel off.



My husband's brush, DENMAN
Yes, he has also got one. It looks manly, and fits in his toilet bag. Ok, it also looks like a brush to clean shoes. I have tried it myself, and it actually works very well too. It has the advantage of being small, very handy for traveling, but it is more difficult to use for styling since it does not have a handle.



I bought it also online at LookFantastic - I see now that this exact model is not in the assortment anymore, but they have a similar one with handle.

I hope this honest review will help you choose your brush; please, write me a comment on what works for you!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...